Monday, August 20, 2007

Cloquet/Duluth-Minnesota

I've been working in Minnesota ("Land of 10,000 Lakes") for the last few days. the temperature here is much cooler than North Carolina. I don't think the temp has gotten over 78 degrees in the 3 days I have been here. Yesterday the high was barely 70 and the low was 52 !!!
We worked long hours the first couple of days, but yesterday I got the chance to visit the Jay Cooke State Park. The park is only about 5 miles from my hotel. The park is on the St.Louis River between Cloquet and Duluth Minnestoa. (at the tip of Lake Superior). Here is the sign at the main entrance (the orange barrell was due to road construction at the entrance):


The park's main feature is the gorge that the river has cut through the slate rock. It made for a few interesting small warterfalls. They also have a swinging bridge over the river gorge. The original bridge was built in 1924 of logs and planks. It was washed away during an unusually high river in 1950. The current bridge was rebuilt in 1953. Here a few pics from my vist to the swinging bridge there. The wind was gusting up to around 30 miles per hour and it was only in the 50's at the time of these pics. So, it felt very chilly.



Here's a sign that was posted to show a picture of the original bridge being washed away by the river in 1950:


The river below has some small water falls. Here are some pics of the river below and the waterfalls.






I hiked the short trail to the top of the largest falls on the other side of the river. Here's a couple of pics from the top of those falls.



Bye,
Glenn

3 comments:

Nancy R said...

Hey! That area looks GREAT! I am sure it was nice to be in that cool weather! I loved the B/W photo! Keep up the good blog! C~ya Nancy

Rebecca said...

Well, well...I see you're on "vacation" again while working. Man, you got it made..hehe.

Ravi said...

Hey Glenny, I envy you for you getting to see places of such sort, while being on work.

Keep explorin n postin !!!
Ravi-Bangalore, India.