Thursday, August 7, 2008

Rio de Janeiero-Brazil, part2

Now I see that I will have to make more than 2 parts for all of my Rio pictures. Here is part 2 (more to come soon).

I met some good people and made some new friends during my stay in Rio. I was eating dinner at a restaurant called Nativo, and I was invited over to a birthday party by a local family. I met the family and all of their friends and heard some great live music. Later, I was also invited back to their home. I had a good time and just want to say how great it was spending time with them. Thanks to Carla, Luiz, Zaka, Dini, Jean-Marc and everyone else for all of the great hospitality!!!

During my stay in Rio, I was at the Hotel Sheraton Barra. This hotel is located in the Barra da Tijuca section of Rio. The hotel faced the Barra da Tijuca beach. Here is a picture of the front of the hotel.


This hotel was designed so that every room faced the beach (at an angle). Here's the view of the beach from my room's balcony.


There is a tiled walkaway down the entire length of beach. They had fish patterns made into the tiles of the walkway at Barra da Tijuca (other beaches had tiled walkways as well, but they used different patterns). Here are some pics from the beach in front of my hotel and the walkway.








Along the beach walkway there were many kiosks that sold drinks and food. One of the specialty drinks there was coco drink. It was the juice form a coconut. They chopped off the top of the coconut and you have to drink the juice directly from the coconut with a straw. It is suppose to be good for your health. I tried one and here is a picture of it.


Rio has many beaches. The beach where I stayed was called Barra da Tijuca. On my tour, the tour guide tried to explain the meaning of Barra da Tijuca and I think he was saying that it meant something like "way to the beach". Barra has good beaches and many surfers like it for the waves. I saw many places on the beach where you can get surf boards and even take lessons for surfing.

Some of the other popular beaches are Copocabana, Ipanema, Sao Conrado, Leblon, etc. Here are some pictures of some of these beaches that I took on the tour.










Check back later for part3

No comments: